Porn vs reality
Some people might think that porn is sexy and fun, but porn doesn’t always send positive or accurate messages about bodies, consent and relationships.
Whether or not you like porn, remember that porn isn’t the real world.
Some people don’t like to watch porn or do the things that are shown in porn, so always check with your partner before you try something new.
Some of the big fakes in porn include:
- The bodies – erased labia, enlarged penises, fake breasts, complete removal of hair
- The relationships – no conversation, no consent
- The sex – no foreplay, fake orgasms, extreme sex acts shown as common and pleasurable for everyone
Some of the unsafe things often shown in porn include:
- Illegal sex acts – child exploitation, rape, bestiality
- Child pornography – a person in the video/photo is under the age of 18 (or appears to be under the age of 18)
- Violence and degrading sex acts, especially towards women
- Unsafe sex – no consent, no condom use, mixing of body fluids
- Porn getting in the way of your real world relationships
- Stereotypes and sex acts in porn that are not safe, real or pleasurable in real life such as skipping foreplay or anal sex without warning, prior conversations or lube
If you are concerned pornography is interrupting your everyday life, or if you just have more questions, you can call Kids Helpline 1800 55 1800 for information and advice.